WHAT IS A CHW?
A Community Health Worker (CHW) is a frontline public health worker who is a trusted member of and/or has an unusually close understanding of the community served. This trusting relationship enables the worker to serve as a liaison/link/intermediary between health/social services and the community to facilitate access to services and improve the quality and cultural competence of service delivery.
Where Do CHW Work?
- Medical clinics
- Community health centers
- Chronic disease management programs
- Behavioral health programs
- Addiction and substance abuse programs
- Head start programs
- Child abuse prevention programs
- Employee benefits programs
- Insurance companies
- And many, many more areas and specialties
CHW in South Dakota
More information regarding reimbursement for CHWs can be found here. This change in reimbursement models through SD DSS has opened the door for formal CHW programs to assist South Dakotans in better managing their health while working to prevent further health concerns.
Click below to view a downloadable CHW Reference Guide prepared by the Cardiovascular Collaborative.
Worker Job Titles
- Community Health Worker
- Case Work Aide
- Community Care Coordinator
- Community Health Advisor
- Community Health Educator
- Community Health Promoter
- Community Health Representative
- Community Outreach Worker
- Consejera/Organizador (counselor/organizer)
- Family Service Worker
- Lay Health Advisor
- Lead Abatement Education Specialist
- Maternal/Infant Health Outreach Specialist
- Neighborhood Health Advisor
- Outreach Specialist
- Patient Navigator
- Peer Educator
- Promotor(a) de Salud (health promoter)
- Public Health Aide
- And many, many more titles
To obtain CHW reimbursement through SD DSS Medicaid, a CHW agency does not need to title their CHWs as CHWs. The title can be more accommodating to the individual’s position who is providing CHW services.
Community Health Worker and CHWSD Webinar
Learn more about Community Health Workers and the CHWSD by viewing the introductory webinar. This webinar provides an overview of CHWs, the CHWSD, and the current and future work to promote, develop, and sustain the CHW profession in South Dakota.
- Official Definitions of CHWs
- CHW Job Titles
- CHW Roles and Functions
- Overlapping Roles in Related Occupations
- Distinction Between CHWs and Related Occupations
- Organizations that Employ CHWs
- Supervising CHWs