Become a CHW
A Community Health Worker (CHW) is a frontline public health worker who is a trusted member of and/or has an unusually close understanding
of the community served.
This trusting relationship enables the worker to serve as a liaison/link/intermediary between health/social services and the community to facilitate access to services and improve the quality and cultural competence of service delivery.
– American Public Health Association, 2022
Who is a CHW?
CHWs build a trusting relationship with the community that they serve to bridge the gaps between the community and the medical and social services.
- Be from the community they are serving, or closely connected with the community they are serving
- Speak the same language and be from the same culture
- Have the same lived experiences, chronic disease, etc.
- Have experience working within the health or social services arenas
Sample Job Description
Click below to download a sample job description for a Community Health Worker (CHW).
Interested in Becoming a CHW?
The CHWSD is working to help organizations in South Dakota develop over 200 CHW positions. Please complete this form to be notified of CHW positions as they become available in your area.